bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

In December 2014, I started my job with Intelligent

in December 2014, I started my job with Intelligent positioning and ended it on the 17/12/2015. I started my job with Towergate on the 7/12/2015. There is an overlap and both companies deducted my allowance in December 2015. HMRC is telling this is my fault cause I apparently said Towergate was my only job at the time.In April 2016, they reviewed my tax code and around £500 have been deducted from my salary. When I called they told me it is because I received too much money in December 2015 and they changed the tax code.On my employment history, it is mentioned that I started to work for Towergate on the 6/01/2016. Which is wrong, I started my job a month earlier.Towergate used a headhunter to hire me and knew I was leaving my job for them. in the email attached, this is mentioned that I was still working in December at Intelligent positioning. I just did a mistake on the date but when they asked for my P45, I explained I couldn't provide it as it is not yet provided by my previous company due to end of the contract not finished. I have no record of filling up a P46 and HMRC didn't get one from Towergate.
They put me on Emergency tax and at the hearing, they said Towergate never received my P45 to have the right code. I did provide the P45 in January once I received it.I was wondering if the mistake would have happened even if it was my only job but I was leaving on the 4th of December and start the new job on the 7th of December of the same year?Could you please forward this email to your colleague and let me know what he thinks. Is it my mistake or Towergate's mistake or HMRC mistake?When I talked to my HR at my new company, they explained they only provide the NI number and then the start date. Then, HMRC provides the tax code. I dont understand how it can be my fault as I tried to be as clear as possible with Towergate.If he needs anything else, let me know.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Happy to wait another 12h
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Have you found someone?
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Are you professional?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
you dont answer to question
I am a moderator, I cannot answer your question personally. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Can you find someone to help me? It's taking ages and all you do is asking more money but dont have someone to answer the question.

Hello, it wasn't your fault at all. The P45 is now electronic and your new employer should have picked it up. The emergency code is actually your standard personal allowance. It will all correct itself when you self assess. It is definitely a Dad's Army, 'Don't panic,' situation!

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Since when is it electronic? Because the issue was in 2015. my issue is that they want me to pay £845 and I beleive I did nothing wrong. I accused Towergate for making a mistake.

If it were in 2015 then the new employer would have issued a P46 to their tax office and the whole matter would have been resolved witung the tax year of jib change. Who are 'they' who are asking for 845 quid?

bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
HMRC. I dont remember providing a P46. I just explained I couldnt provide the P45 because it wasnt generated due to an overlap. HMRC are accusing me for not providing the right information and ask for £845 for this mistake which I beleive it's not my fault. Towergate which is the company they hired me, used a headhunter to hire me s othey know I was between 2 jobs. Also, i told them, my previous job will end in December. In April 2016, they took £500 from my salary to compensate and they still believe I own them £845. I attached previously all of the docs (salary, employment history)

You wouldn't, it would be the new employer's responsibility! Tell HMRC to take a running jump and appeal against their demands which you do simply by writing a letter.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** and they still accused me for not providing the right information which is not true. I did an appeal. But thanks for your answer.

Just keep on making appeals and you letters will rise through the tax office jierarchy until they finally reach an operative who knows what they are doing.

Thank you for your support.