How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am currently registered as employed. I worked for

This answer was rated:

Hi! So I am currently registered as employed. I worked for Cineworld since September 2017. During my employment, in January 2019, I was hired on a second job called Business Tech Ninjas, a small online business with headquarters in Canada. I did not register any of my (extremely low) income in this tax year as I was told that as I was still employed by cineworld i didn't need to do a tax return, although I am now worried that I should have declared that money no matter how small? But anyway, I am now not working at Cineworld as of yesterday. I work solely for Business Tech Ninjas but they do not have a tax system, i need to do my own tax. I am not sure if I need to register as Self-Employed and I am not sure if I should have declared that low amount of income in the tax deadline just gone - it was April 5th I think
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: I am not currently - that is part of my question
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thats it thanks

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tony!

How much was your income from Business Tech Ninjas in the year ended 5 April 2019? Did you incur any expenses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No expenses. I work from home. I can calculate the exact amount but I am pretty sure it was about £300-400 for Jan - April. It was not a lot at all


What is the nature of the work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mainly work on the clients websites. I have a boss who runs the company and delegates tasks. I am told to edit the content on the sites, move content over, calculate email statistics, create sequence of automatic emails, create the online platform for online courses or things the client wishes to sell, etc.

OK, thanks.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer. It will take a while so please bear with me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries, thank you

You need to register for self-assessment if your income as a sole-trader in 2018/19 was £1,000 or more. As it wasn't, I'd call the tax office on the number here and tell me them you had a small amount of income in 2018/19 for website work and ask if the tax can be collected through your tax coding for the current tax year, 2019/20. If they ask why you didn't register as self-employed tell them you were not sure it would be a continuing assignment.

You ought to consider registering for 2019/20 which you can do here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tony! Just a final question, so you definitely think I need to register as self employed? As I am aware that once you register is it hard to go back?

No, its not hard to stop having to submit tax returns. If you don't meet the criteria, you don't need to submit tax returns.

I would register as its a good way of recording your earnings and expenses and to claim relief for a loss against other income.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay brilliant, thank you Tony :)


Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

TonyTax and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you