bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I’m moving abroad and have questions about non resodency

Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Income tax and non-residency
Assistant: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: Current
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’ll be moving to Dubai and wanted to understand how to become non-resident as I’ll be getting paid from abroad. I also have a property which I’m planning to rent in the U.K. so I want to understand if am allowed my personal allowance? Thanks
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Also what conditions I need to meet for non-residency. HMRC website a little complicated

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

When you leave the UK be sure to send a from P85 to your tax office. HMRC will then classify you as non resident for the tax year following your date of departure and, furthermore, split the leaving year into teo portions, one resident and the other non resident. Once so classified you can spend up to 90 days in the UK in any one tax year without breaching your non resident status. The form provides for the refund of tax overpaid on departure.

Your net rental income will still be taxable in the UK, but if you are a citizen of an EEA country you retain your personal allowance to offset this. You will have to continue to self assess unless HMRC tell you not to bother in future.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
basically I need to spend less than 90 days in the U.K. within the current tax year to qualify as non-resident?

To retain your non resident status, yes.

What rotation will you be on?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry, what do you mean by rotation?Regards

Like one month on one month off.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’m moving out to Dubai long term. Will only be back to U.K. for meetings for a few days now and then.

No problem, you will be classified as non resident once you submit the P85, most important. The form is available on the web and can be filed online.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
You have been great! I might have a few questions later on. Thanks again :).

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support.