How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5836
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

If I intend to stop working in Great Britain, could I

This answer was rated:

If I intend to stop working in Great Britain, could I recover any of the paid taxes, such as the pension tax (I paid two types of pension tax) and the tax for the National Insurance Number?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Thank you for your question.

If you have paid more tax than is due in the current year, you would be able to get a refund for overpayment when you complete form P85 at the time of leaving the UK.

Any payments as National Insurance contribution are earnings based and there would be no repayment due.

Taxes paid in past years woudl have been based on your earnings in those years and non recoverable.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what about the pension taxes that I have been paying. Can I recover this money?

Thank you for your reply.

Are you referring to pension contributions?

Is it employer pension scheme or personal pension scheme?

For how long have you contributed?

Many thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
both the employer and personal pension scheme. I contributed for two years. And sorry that I dare to bother you with one more inquiry. At the end of the month I pay 400 pounds out of my wages. It is fair the PAEY tax, as I assume it goes to maintenance of the infrastructure and the public services and everything that makes this country work better than mine. I am working here and benefit of these advantages, so I am happy to pay for it. Although I cannot understand what is the National Insurance tax for. What comes out of it for me? How do I benefit of paying it? Why is it not possible to recover it or at least part of it if I decide I am not going to work in Great Britain any longer? I apologize if anything of what I am writing here sounds inappropriate. Thank you for your time and for answering!

Thank you for your reply.

N I Contributions go towards provision of state pension at retirement date and also NHS.

You should contact your employer and personal pension provider if you wish to have refund of premiums and ask

them what options are available to you.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate myservice positively/accept the service I have provided to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the answers. They are clear and helpful to me. I wish you all the best

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Your good words are appreciated.

Best wishes.