How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Adam Hunt Your Own Question
Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 244
Experience:  FCCA, FFA, FFTA
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Adam Hunt is online now

Do you provide advice regarding VAT reclaims for self

This answer was rated:

Do you provide advice regarding VAT reclaims for self builds?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Not yet,
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: My specific query is regarding equipment hire, it seems confusing because when you read the furtherguidance, it does refer to this in the context of been closely linked to the build. We had to demolish a school which was on the site and had to spend a lot of money on hire equipment to do so. I just want to understand more and if it is worth pursuing through an expert to get the VAT money as part of the return.

Hi I am one of the experts. Hire of plant and machinery without operator is standard rated. Reference for you to take a look is this one:

Hope i have answered your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. We had a contractor to do all the work who hired the equipment on our behalf but we paid the invoices direct for hire. If we would have paid the contractor direct for labour and hire, should they have invoiced is at zero rated?

Actually this supply can be zero rated if building is zero rated where this work is done. So it depends on to where are you working and if that building is zero rated or not. This is clearly written on the provided reference link to you also.

Adam Hunt and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you