How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

How many years back can you go in claiming the single person

This answer was rated:

How many years back can you go in claiming the single person council tax discount? I have lived alone for over 2 years.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all thanks.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Tony, I'm going out shopping for a while but I'll check when I get back.

Theoretically, you can make a backdated claim to 1 April 1993 when Council Tax was introduced. Some councils try to use the 6 years statute of limitations legislation to limit a claim to sis years but you should have no problem claiming for two years. Contact your council and ask for a clam form.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for that Tony.

Thanks and good luck with your claim.