How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7059
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My wife and I have joint ownership of a property in Spain.

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have joint ownership of a property in Spain. Our primary residence is in UK. We have never rented out he Spain property. We also have a joint bank account in Spain which does not pay interest. Do any of these facts need declaring to HMRC as their risk and intelligence service offshore has sent my wife a letter querying the situation ? Zero income, zero capital gains (in fact we actually pay Spanish tax on a nominal imputed rental income).
JA: What are the assets or property for this capital gain?
Customer: no capital gain
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You only need to declare income if it is received which in this case there is none. Furthermore, as the property has not been disposed of, no liability to Capital Gains Tax (CGT) arises. Politely tell the organisation who sent your wife a letter to take a running jump.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.

Remember that it is now HMRC policy to badger the small man in the hope that he or she will roll over and pay up, don't. HMRC have given up on the big boys with their armies of accountants and lawyers as they loose most actions the bring.