How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8152
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I worked in the UK for 3 years (and have worked there

Customer Question

hello - I worked in the UK for 3 years (and have worked there before) & I had an unexpectedly high tax bill (over GBP25,000 more than expected). I live in Australia - do you think HRMC may allow me to settle the debt over a period of years?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no I have not
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's the gist of the issue - thanks
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Peter replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am a Chartered Tax Advisor. Please can you advise what caused the unusually high tax bill?