bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I understand a new build property is zero rated is I build

Customer Question

I understand a new build property is zero rated is I build and sell it. However, if I buy a house and separate the land, build a new house on that land that is still connected to the old property is it exempt for VAT when I sell it? I have been told that only totally detached new build is zero rated
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Sale of landed property is usually outside the scope of VAT.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-constructionSorry but it most certainly isn't outside the scope

Oh yes it is except in the rare case where the owner has opted to apply the tax.