How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16705
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am high income earner and put in replacement kitchen to

Customer Question

Hi. I am high income earner and put in replacement kitchen to property that I let. I called HMRC regarding putting this as expense against income and they stated I can only claim off capital gains as capital enhancement when property is sold? I did check HMRC videos and it states I can claim for replacement kitchen. Total value is £7k for kitchen.
Assistant: What are the assets or property for this capital gain?
Customer: Property is being let and not for sale.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Confirmation that kitchen cost can be claimed as expense for self assessment form
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 7 months ago.

Every case is different but a kitchen replacement can be regarded as revenue or replacement expenditure as opposed to capital or improvement expenditure. Take a look at the notes here, specifically on kitchen replacement.

If, for example, you replace cheap kitchen tiles with marble or granite ones, that is not simply a replacement. It is clearly an improvement. If you add additional power sockets , that is clearly an improvement. You just to look at each part of the cost honestly and ask yourself if it constitutes a replacement or an improvement which may be reflected in the value of the property.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.