How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Adam Hunt Your Own Question
Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 389
Experience:  FCCA, FFA, FFTA
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Adam Hunt is online now

I have just been offered a position overseas in Myanmar. The

This answer was rated:

Hello! I have just been offered a position overseas in Myanmar. The role will be from September 1, 2019 -December 20, 2020. The role is funded by UK DFID. I need to know if I will be a UK tax resident during this time, and subject to UK tax. Many thanks, Rosita
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it for now.

Hi I am one of the experts. If you want to become non-resident and do not want to visit UK often in the current tax year then please submit P85 and then once you are back after lets say few years then let HMRC know that you are back. After submitting you will become non-tax resident in UK.

You can submit P85 now via

Hope answered your question. Please do me one favour that rate me before you leave. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks a lot, Adam. To clarify, I have been in the UK until now. Would I need to pay UK tax on any of my income,based on the government guidance below?"UK residence and tax
Your UK residence status affects whether you need to pay tax in the UK on your foreign income.Non-residents only pay tax on their UK income - they do not pay UK tax on their foreign income.Residents normally pay UK tax on all their income, whether it’s from the UK or abroad. But there are special rules for UK residents whose permanent home (‘domicile’) is abroad.Work out your residence status
Whether you’re UK resident usually depends on how many days you spend in the UK in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year).You’re automatically resident if either:you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year
your only home was in the UK - you must have owned, rented or lived in it for at least 91 days in total - and you spent at least 30 days there in the tax year
You’re automatically non-resident if either:you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years)
you work abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working
Get help
If your situation’s more complicated or you need to confirm your status, you can:

If you submit P85 then HMRC will calculate your liability until now in 2019/20 tax year and send you the final payment or refund that you might have got so far since 6/4/2019 till the day when you leave the UK.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, I'm not fully clear on what that means. Do you mean that if I file the P85, I will be liable to pay tax only on income I am earning before I leave the UK? I am not currently earning any UK income. Does that mean that I will not be taxed at all for any of the income I earn while overseas, if I file this form?

Once you have become non-resident in the UK and not visiting UK often like you have pasted above guidance of days spent in UK after once left UK and submitted p85, then there is no further submissions that need to be made.

About your question, Answer is YES. If you become tax non resident via P85 then there are no other submissions until your circumstances change.

Please do not forget to rate me before you leave.

Adam Hunt and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I would advise you to also speak to HMRC to double check P85 related info. Thank you and Good luck.