How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Adam Hunt Your Own Question
Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 357
Experience:  FCCA, FFA, FFTA
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Adam Hunt is online now

I am 18 and i am a freelance self employed Sound engineer

This answer was rated:

Hello , I am 18 and i am a freelance self employed Sound engineer registered as a Sole trader as of October 2018 . Can i ask some questions ?
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: Sole proprietor
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

I am one of the experts. Please go ahead and ask the question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my income over the 17/18 tax year was very little as i just began my freelance operations so my income was less than £5000 (From when i registered as freelance with HMRC in September 2018 till end of tax year April 2019 ) .

Ok so you registered in Sept 2018 as sole trader, may i ask the question also please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My estimated income for this tax year (19/20) is around £16,000 how will this affect my tax return and how do i pay the tax return >
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Rough estimate

For 6 Apr 2018 to 5 Apr 2019 - 2018/19 tax year, £5000 is less than the personal allowance of 11850 so no tax is payable.

For 6 Apr 2019 to 5 Apr 2020 - 2019/20 tax year, £16000 less 12500 (personal allowance) = £3500 * 20% = £140 tax

Class 4 NI= £663.12

Class 2 NI = £156

Total Tax and NI payable: £959.12

Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How is this paid to HMRC , Once i have submit a return ?

Yes deadline for online submission and payment are given below:

2018/19 tax return - deadline 31/1/2020

2019/20 tax return - deadline 31/1/2021

You can pay online via HMRC website. Also you can google out self assessment hmrc payment options. You can also call HMRC and also HMRC sends letter for payment once return is submitted.

Adam Hunt and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support and good luck.