bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My late mother who passed away in 2009 from cancer had left

Hello, my late mother who passed away in 2009 from cancer had left a will for me at a law firm called Fuglers on Charlotte street. I have recently sold one of the properties on the estate listed on the will. I want to understand whether I am liable to pay any inheritance tax and what the process in declaring everything to HMRC is please?
Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: The estate is in Ghana
Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have the will and the documents of the sale of the property. I also have a probate.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No please

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

What was your mother's nationality and where did she live?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She had a british passport at the time before she passed away. However was born in Ghana. She lived in london with me.

Her estate should have been declared to HMRC for Inheritance tax (IHT) assessment when probate was granted. Beneficiaries are not personally responsible for IHT, it is a matter for her executors or administrators before distribution.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What if the executor does not work at the law firm anymore? Can this still be sorted out by the law firm?

Of course, for a fee.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Many thanks for your help

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Thank you for your support.