taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am an accountant & I've just found out one of my clients

I am an accountant & I've just found out one of my clients has been employing an apprentice for the lat year. All his other staff are self employed & he doesnt take a salary from the business so no payroll has been in place. I have registered now for him to be come and employer but when do I start the employment from ? This month or back date to aug 18. The apprentice is only on a salary of £6734pa so no tax due
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: sole proprietor of a limited company
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

If you have just registered your client as new employer for PAYE, then you should show start date for RTI as this month.

Otherwise you would need to file monthly returns for last tax year and final year end return.

Your client should have registered for PAYE scheme last year as he had an employee earning more than £118pw.

You would still report payments to apprentice as payroll cost when completing company tax return.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question!”

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks. Will there be a penalty for not filing for the last year?

Thank you for your reply.

HMRC may levy a late filing fine. If you were to explain to them that the company is new and failed to register on time. Having said that there was no tax to be deducted. HMRC may be receptive to waiver of penalty. I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Great, thank you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.