bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I hold shares in Vinci that I obtained through a scheme at

I hold shares in Vinci that I obtained through a scheme at work during the period 2005 - 2010. I currently own 439 shares at a value of around 92.00 €. (Vinci is a French company operating in the UK). I sold 400 of the shares last year for about
JA: When was the property or asset sold?
Customer: I sold 400 shares last year foe about 85.00€ and received about £28000. The price paid at the time averaged about 40.00€ but I seem to remember I was given one free for every 3 I bought. over the 5 year period I reckon I paid just £250 per month so only about £15000. Do you think I have a capital gains tax liability that. I need to declare on my tax return?
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I sold them in early march 2019

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Yes, you do have a Capital Gains Tax (CGT) liability on any gain made on disposal. This must be declared on your self-assessment tax return. Remember that you have a non-cumulativve Annual Exempt Amount (AEA), currently 12K, to offset any gain made.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello and thanks for your reply. The reason I asked is that the hmrc web site tells me that I don't have to pay CGT fir shares in an employer share incentive plan. How do I tell if this is a share incentive plan?

This is correct providing that you do not take your shares out of the plan before sale.

Thank you for your support.