TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I'm going to work half of my time abroad for 18 months, I

I'm going to work half of my time abroad for 18 months, I will have an address and bank account in Gibraltar, can I take advantage of the income tax benefits of being away half my time?
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: this year and next
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Your UK residence status affects whether you need to pay tax in the UK on your foreign income.

Whether you’re UK resident usually depends on how many days you spend in the UK in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year).

You’re automatically resident if either:

• you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year
  • your only home was in the UK - you must have owned, rented or lived in it for at least 91 days in total - and you spent at least 30 days there in the tax year
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Aware I'd need to pay tax in the UK, but if I'm paid by a Gib company, have a Gib address/bank account, would I still have to pay full UK tax? or do I get some benefit of the Gib tax rate?

You can claim tax relief if you are taxed in both. You get a credit in the UK

Yes you still pay UK tax

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you.