How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 22979
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I'm going to work half of my time abroad for 18 months, I

This answer was rated:

I'm going to work half of my time abroad for 18 months, I will have an address and bank account in Gibraltar, can I take advantage of the income tax benefits of being away half my time?
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: this year and next
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Your UK residence status affects whether you need to pay tax in the UK on your foreign income.

Whether you’re UK resident usually depends on how many days you spend in the UK in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year).

You’re automatically resident if either:

  • you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year
  • your only home was in the UK - you must have owned, rented or lived in it for at least 91 days in total - and you spent at least 30 days there in the tax year
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Aware I'd need to pay tax in the UK, but if I'm paid by a Gib company, have a Gib address/bank account, would I still have to pay full UK tax? or do I get some benefit of the Gib tax rate?

You can claim tax relief if you are taxed in both. You get a credit in the UK

Yes you still pay UK tax

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you.