TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

My daughter married 2 years ago. She has found out that her

Customer Question

My daughter married 2 years ago. She has found out that her husband who is a peripatetic teacher has not declared his earnings for 3 out of 5 days that he works in schools.
Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No. My daughter owns the house they live in. It is in her name only. Can the tax official take her house?
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: He hasn't submitted a tax form for years.
Assistant: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: He isn't. He is frightened if he starts paying now they will find out how long he hasn't been paying
Expert:  TonyTax replied 10 days ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 10 days ago.

Your daughter cannot be held personally responsible for her husband's tax debts. HMRC cannot touch the house she owns.

As for your son in law, he should bite the bullet and take professional advice to get an idea of how much tax and national insurance contributions he owes with a view to making a disclosure to HMRC. It will eat away at him and put a strain on his marriage if he doesn't.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much for your reply
Expert:  TonyTax replied 10 days ago.

Thanks. I hope it helps put your daughter's mind at rest.

Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.