TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

As of the 1st of April 2020 I will be leaving the country

As of the 1st of April 2020 I will be leaving the country for 6 months. I want to know will I have to pay tax when I return and start working again.
I am currently on a zero hr contract which allows me to go away for long periods of time so my job will not be issuing me with a p45. My plan is to leave at the beginning of the financial tax year for 6 months, when I come back I will start working with the same company until I have reached the £12,500 and then leave again. Is this something I am able to do or is it not as simple as that?

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

There is no problem with your plan.

If you return halfway through the 1920/21 tax year, then you may not pay tax for a while as you will be entitled to 6 months worth of unused personal allowance so you will need to contact the tax office when you start a new job to make sure HMRC issue a full tax code.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your response. So for example, if I start work and i earn £3000 a month I will not pay tax for the first 2 months of work and then I will be taxed as normal on the 3rd month?

You can earn £1,041 per month (£12,500 / 12) from the start of the tax year and pay no tax.