How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7813
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I need to complete a self-assessment, no, I live overseas

This answer was rated:

I need to complete a self-assessment
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I live overseas and I own a property in the UK which I am renting out

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

It is a worldwide convention that rentals and pensions are taxed in country of origin. You will have to self assess unless HMRC tells you not to bother in future. You can do this online, the procedure is here:

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.

This rental may be taxable in your overseas location too and you will have to rely on the Double Taxation Treaty, if any, for protection.