How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16704
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

For the 18/19tax year, my Exxon dividends from the US have

This answer was rated:

For the 18/19tax year, my Exxon dividends from the US have been taxed ay 30%.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: The 18/19 tax year dividends from ExxonMobil have been taxed at 30%. I had transferred my shares in March 18 to a new broker, but the W-8BEN had not been transferred with them, and the new broker will not refund the overtax. How do I go about reclaiming this overpaid tax?
JA: Which tax year is the refund for?
Customer: 18/19
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: How long does a w-8BEN last? Is it 3 Years?

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

If your broker won't do it, you will need to complete a US tax return as you can read here.

If you are a higher rate taxpayer, you may be able to offset all the US tax against your higher rate tax liability in the UK.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you