taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am the sole director of my company which was registered in

Hi - I am the sole director of my company which was registered in 2017, has never traded and has as yet no company bank account. After registration I obtained a UK trademark in the name of the company, but paid using my own bank account. Am I able to declare the company as dormant when submitting the first year accounts to Companies House accounts?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

As the company has not traded from date of incorporation you can file dormant accounts at Companies House.

You will find some useful information here

https://www.1stformations.co.uk/blog/what-is-a-dormant-company/

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Hi there

Just checking to see if you need more clarification/information or have I answered your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer today.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks for your reply. I understand that HMRC would regard the company as dormant, but Companies House has a stricter definition of the term. The trademark that I paid for was registered in the name of the company, so I am wondering if Companies House would regard it as an asset acquired by the company and hence an accounting transaction which would have to be shown in a balance sheet.

Thank you for your reply.

You have paid for it out of your pocket and the company has not reimbursed your for it. I would defer bringing the charge into the company books for trade mark until such time the company starts trading. The company has not undertaken any trading activity as such.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.