How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7768
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I discovered a few months ago that I have been paying tax

This answer was rated:

Hi. I discovered a few months ago that I have been paying tax every year for a bereavement benefit which actually stopped being paid to me in October 2009. DWP apparently informed HMRC in October 2009 of the end of payment, but HMRC failed to act. I applied for a refund and I was paid back for overpaid tax between 2015 and 2019. Is it true that HMRC will not back pay overpaid tax beyond 4 years? Have I got any grounds for a further claim?
JA: Which tax year is the refund for?
Customer: 2009 to 2014
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you out with your question.

HMRC are, in typical style, trying to wriggle out of paying you when the whole error was made by the DWP. Complain about their antics, the procedure is here:

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is their 4 year limit absolute, written in law etc. or is it actually worth appealing?

It most certainly is. HMRC would like the 4 year rule to be the law, but what HMRC would like and what the law actually is are entirely different matters. It is certainly worth making an appeal and writing to your MP might concentrate minds wonderfully too!

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support.

HMRC will always tell you what that Department would like the law to be, not what it actually is!