bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I discovered a few months ago that I have been paying tax

Hi. I discovered a few months ago that I have been paying tax every year for a bereavement benefit which actually stopped being paid to me in October 2009. DWP apparently informed HMRC in October 2009 of the end of payment, but HMRC failed to act. I applied for a refund and I was paid back for overpaid tax between 2015 and 2019. Is it true that HMRC will not back pay overpaid tax beyond 4 years? Have I got any grounds for a further claim?
JA: Which tax year is the refund for?
Customer: 2009 to 2014
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you out with your question.

HMRC are, in typical style, trying to wriggle out of paying you when the whole error was made by the DWP. Complain about their antics, the procedure is here:

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-hmrc

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Is their 4 year limit absolute, written in law etc. or is it actually worth appealing?

It most certainly is. HMRC would like the 4 year rule to be the law, but what HMRC would like and what the law actually is are entirely different matters. It is certainly worth making an appeal and writing to your MP might concentrate minds wonderfully too!

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support.

HMRC will always tell you what that Department would like the law to be, not what it actually is!