TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

My husband has sold his coin collection on ebay and has now

hi my name is ***** ***** has sold his coin collection on ebay and has now been asked to do a self assesmant he doesnt have any proof of purchase for coins he bought himself years ago as he didnt intend to sell them but we needed the money and a lot of them he found metal detecting, so no proof of gains, he isnt a traider or buisness man, we have print outs of all the sales made between april 2018 and april 2019 this is the only proof we have from what he has calculated he has recieved £9471.57 and he also paid out £242.00 in postage, how do i do a self assesment without proof of gains? i cant even find a way to find his UTL number, we have a deadline of oct 5th can you advise me how to sort this out,please thankyou x
JA: When was the property or asset sold?
Customer: hmrc only want to know what he recieved between april 18 to april 19 it was between that time
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: he didnt realise he was liable for tax

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

HMRC issues a UTR number when you register for a Self Assessment tax return. There are several ways to obtain a UTR number, including by phone, online and by post.

You’ll get a letter containing your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) within 10 working days (21 if you’re abroad). You need your UTR to send a return.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-not-self-employed

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
i know this already ive been trying to to do it online but keep coming up with buisness or sole traider only, and cant get anywhere with trying to obtain his utl number?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
ok ill give it a go again

How you register for Self Assessment depends on your circumstances. Use form SA1 if you need to register but you’re not self-employed. For example, if you:

• have Capital Gains Tax to pay
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
ok thanks i did this last night but didnt put any figures down shoud i do it again or wait for an answer from them do you know roughly how long they take to answer

You’ll get a letter containing your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) within 10 working days

You are most welcome.
A 5 star positive rating would be appreciated

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
thank you very much x

You are most welcome.
A 5 star positive rating would be appreciated SCROLL UP TO SEE STARS