How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16670
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My wife has died and left 833 unquoted shares to our 3

This answer was rated:

My wife has died and left 833 unquoted shares to our 3 children
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No advice from anyone and Stamp Office tel number too busy - I have share transfer forms which I can complete for 277 shares each and send to the company's Finance Director with the one share certificate to be distributed. Question is whether I need to pay stamp duty on the family tansfers
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

There is no stamp duty on shares left to an individual in a will. Look under "Transfers that are exempt" here for confirmation.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Muchas gracias that answers my wife's situ - could you help me belowI have 77 near worthless shares in another unquoted company which I will give to one of our sons (for sentimental reasons) - do I have to pay duty on this transfer?

Only if cash changes hands. Same link as before.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you