TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

My wife has died and left 833 unquoted shares to our 3

My wife has died and left 833 unquoted shares to our 3 children
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No advice from anyone and Stamp Office tel number too busy - I have share transfer forms which I can complete for 277 shares each and send to the company's Finance Director with the one share certificate to be distributed. Question is whether I need to pay stamp duty on the family tansfers
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

There is no stamp duty on shares left to an individual in a will. Look under "Transfers that are exempt" here for confirmation.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Muchas gracias that answers my wife's situ - could you help me belowI have 77 near worthless shares in another unquoted company which I will give to one of our sons (for sentimental reasons) - do I have to pay duty on this transfer?

Only if cash changes hands. Same link as before.