How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My mother is French. I am a british French citizen (I was

This answer was rated:

My mother is French. I am a british French citizen (I was born in London) and leave and work in the UK. My sister is still only a French citizen and lives and works in the UK. My mother is thinking of giving us about £25,000. Would I or my sister have to pay taxes?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

The recipient of a gift does not pay tax on it in the UK. As your mother is not a UK national, so long as she makes the gifts from non-UK sources there will be no UK Inheritance Tax implications for her estate when she dies.

You would need to seek advise as the French IHT position.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's great and thank you for the prompt reply.


Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you