TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Coudl you advise where to get info regards fuel rates? I

hello,
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: coudl you advise where to get info regards ***** *****?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I need to prepare spreadsheet to count how much liters of fuel car should use, when I have engine size and fuel tipe
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, I haven't yet

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have spreadsheet like attached and need to put formula in L4 box. driver should choose fuel tipe and engine size of his car, put mileage that he used and formula should count how much fuel his car should use, to provide with fuel receipt

I'm not sure what you need to know. Surely, if you know the make and model and other information such as fuel type and engine size, the manufacturer's website will tell you how many miles per litre of fuel it will travel. Can you elaborate on your question please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know thaat i can check it by car make, but if I will have hundred of drivers I dont want to check each car. For that reason I want to put formula, that would count automatically how much liters they should use. And by choose drop down box drivers could fill sheet by them self, without mine supervision

Are the cars company cars or are they employee owned cars?

Also, are we dealing with UK based employees?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cars belongs to employees and UK based

OK. Thanks.

The rates here are what an employer can pay an employee to reimburse them for business fuel costs in a company car.

The rates here are what an employer can pay an employee tax free to reimburse them for business fuel costs in their own car. The employer doesn't have to pay the full rate. They might pay 20p per business mile. If that is the case, the employee can claim tax relief on the difference between 45p per business mile and 20p per business mile for the first 10,000 business miles and on the difference between 25p per business mile and 20p per business mile thereafter.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do I understand correct. lets say I have car diesel, up to 1600cc. I did 100 miles, so employer should pay me 10 pounds to cover my fuel expenses? And I need to provide fuel receipt for that amount ( or not less) and employer can claime VAT

The 10p rate you mentioned was for a company car, not an employee owned car.

Employees should be able to prove their fuel costs to the employer so receipts should be provided.

The rates for an employee owned car are higher because they are deemed to cover the running costs, insurance, MOT, servicing, repairs, road tax etc.

There are notes on VAT claims here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if we give them car allowance, so want to pay only for fuel that they actually used.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they wont claime for mileage only for used fuel

A car allowance is subject to income tax and national insurance contributions as salary each month.

If they are only claiming for business fuel costs, they have to provide precise calculations of their business fuel costs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what do you mean precise calculation?

Of what their business mileage cost them.

If you don't want to compensate them for using their own cars for business which is lowering the value of the car then use the rates here which estimate the fuel only costs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I said.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, thank you so much for your help

Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

Thanks and good luck.