TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Im looking at taking a tax free job in the Middle East, but

Im looking at taking a tax free job in the Middle East, but my family will stay in the Uk. How do I move income to the uk to cover mortgage, family living allowances etc
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Are you asking how you technically move money from a bank in the Middle East to a UK based bank or whether doing so would make it taxable?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Yes...I will be living abroad. How would I be able to provide my family with a monthly income as my wife doesn't work. Would I be liable for tax etc

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

You can send money back to the UK to cover your UK financial commitments and family allowances and not be liable to UK tax so long as you maintain your non-UK tax residency status. The fact that you may send money back to the UK does not necessarily make it taxable in the UK. Your tax residency status determines that.

You won't have to pay UK tax on your Middle East earnings so long as you maintain non-UK residence status which basically means restricting the time you spend back in the UK.

The tax year you move abroad will be split into two periods, 6 April to the date you leave the UK and the day after you leave the UK to the following 5 April. Income you have in the first period will be taxable in the UK. Income you have in the second period won't be taxable in the UK provided you stick to the rules. See Table E on page 53 of RDR3 here which will tell you how many days you can spend in the UK depending on the month you leave up to the following 5 April.

In the tax year of your return to the UK see Table F on page 61 of RDR3 here to see how many days you can spend in the UK between 6 April of the tax year of your return to the UK and the date of your return to the UK in the same tax year.

In a full tax year, you should be looking to spend no more than 90 days in the UK. It would be preferable if you did not return to the UK permanently until you have been non-UK resident for at least one full tax year.

Take a look at the flowchart here and the Statutory Residence Test notes here for more information.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

RDR3 is attached.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you that's extremely helpful. For the first period which will be taxable, is that tax paid by self assessment? I also have a UK military pension which will remain taxable income?

If you are currently employed in the UK. your salary to when you leave that job will be taxable in the UK. Your military pension will remain taxable in the UK. You may need to complete a tax return for 2019/20.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thats great, thank you