How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7802
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am non-resident for tax purposes I am also the sole

Customer Question

I am non-resident for tax purposes
I am also the sole director of 2 UK limited companies
I think that I must file a UK personal tax return, because I am a director....
However, I file my taxes abroad (in Paraguay). What would need to be included on this personal tax return... given I pay tax elsewhere?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Any emoluments paid to you by limited companies must be through PAYE channels. Most people on PAYE do not have to make a tax return.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I charge my companies for my services as a contractor, I was under the impression this was ok?
Also in that case what about dividends?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

It is, but such payments must be made through PAYE channels. The first 1K of dividend income is tax free. Ypu will most certainly have to make self assessmant tax returns unless HMRC tell you not to bother in future.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but isnt PAYE for UK employees?
And wouldnt a self assessment essentially just say 'money earned: x, tax due £0 as tax paid overseas'?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

If that is the case then HMRC will advise the company to that effect. Also there are the dividends and their taxation to consider.