How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6517
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Live in London, I pay taxes here as en employee,I am on Sel

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I am French and live in London, I pay taxes here as en employee,I am on Sel Assesment. I wanted to know if I have to declare to HRMC the incomes I have in France where I rent a flat, considering I already pay taxes on this income in France?.
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: april 2018 to april 2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is your answer?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want a written answer to a simple question.
Expert: replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

If you are a UK resident for tax purposes, you would normally be taxed on your world wide income and gains on arising basis (income received and gain made in the tax year).

You claim foreign tax credit relief on any tax paid on this foreign income/gain against your UK tax payable.

You should be declaring rental income in France and also claim foreign tax credit relief under double taxation agreement between UK and France.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.