taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Live in London, I pay taxes here as en employee,I am on Sel

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I am French and live in London, I pay taxes here as en employee,I am on Sel Assesment. I wanted to know if I have to declare to HRMC the incomes I have in France where I rent a flat, considering I already pay taxes on this income in France?.
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: april 2018 to april 2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 7 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
what is your answer?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I want a written answer to a simple question.

If you are a UK resident for tax purposes, you would normally be taxed on your world wide income and gains on arising basis (income received and gain made in the tax year).

You claim foreign tax credit relief on any tax paid on this foreign income/gain against your UK tax payable.

You should be declaring rental income in France and also claim foreign tax credit relief under double taxation agreement between UK and France.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.