How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7827
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I would like to understand the tax implications (US and UK

Customer Question

I would like to understand the tax implications (US and UK taxes) of the following scenario:Right now I am a US citizen, living and working in the UK on a Tier 2 General visa. I am employed full-time by a UK entity and pay taxes in the UK. In a couple of months I anticipate holding Indefinite Leave to Remain status in the UK.I have started part-time employment with a US entity earning US dollars, and I anticipate this will become full-time.By the end of the calendar year (or close) I anticipate living in the UK with Indefinite Leave to Remain status and earning income solely from a US entity in US dollars.Where would I be subject to tax (US v UK and how to determine which US state I would owe tax) and how would I determine the amount of tax owed?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Your worldwide income will be taxed in the UK. Any tax paid to the IRS will, under the Double Taxation Treaty between the US and the UK, be allowed as a tax credit against UK liability on the same income stream.