Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA, FFA, FFTA
105330465

I am helping a czech friend who has been sent a self

Customer Question

I am helping a czech friend who has been sent a self assessment late penalty fine for £1300. 17/18 is the tax year. He has been abroad since. But they sent afine to czech address. He is not UK resident but was advised he had to register as self employed for a summer of work in uk. Not sure if we should appeal the late penalty or what is best action?
Assistant: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: He is self employed
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He had to give a UK address in order to register self employed but he is not UK resident. He spent most of his year(6months) 17/18 working in Newzealand. Only 4 months in UK
Expert:  Adam Hunt replied 7 days ago.

Hi, I am one of the experts. I will come back to you little later, plz bear with me.

Expert:  Adam Hunt replied 7 days ago.

This 4 months income in the UK needed to be taxed in UK. Unfortunately as per details given it looks like that this info needed to be declared in the UK. So under this situation appeal is not possible but still you can send one to HMRC for in case.

Hope I have answered your question?