How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Adam Hunt Your Own Question
Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 442
Experience:  FCCA, FFA, FFTA
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Adam Hunt is online now

I am helping a czech friend who has been sent a self

Customer Question

I am helping a czech friend who has been sent a self assessment late penalty fine for £1300. 17/18 is the tax year. He has been abroad since. But they sent afine to czech address. He is not UK resident but was advised he had to register as self employed for a summer of work in uk. Not sure if we should appeal the late penalty or what is best action?
Assistant: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: He is self employed
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He had to give a UK address in order to register self employed but he is not UK resident. He spent most of his year(6months) 17/18 working in Newzealand. Only 4 months in UK
Expert:  Adam Hunt replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am one of the experts. I will come back to you little later, plz bear with me.

Expert:  Adam Hunt replied 4 months ago.

This 4 months income in the UK needed to be taxed in UK. Unfortunately as per details given it looks like that this info needed to be declared in the UK. So under this situation appeal is not possible but still you can send one to HMRC for in case.

Hope I have answered your question?