Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA, FFA, FFTA
105330465

We have a company asking us to pay a VAT only invoice as

We have a company asking us to pay a VAT only invoice as they were not registered when the service was delivered. However the original invoice was from a completely different limited company with a different VAt registration. They are saying it is pro-forma but the invoice does not say pro-forma. Are you able to offer any advice on whether we do need to pay this invoice?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi I am one of the experts. Asking for VAT only invoice later is possible because registration can take time. Now, on the other hand, they should have informed you about this in the past when the invoice at first place sent to you for payment.

About different company VAT registration, this is something you need to discuss with them and deal with it according to your arrangement as you know better what is bought.

Thirdly, a proforma invoice should say on the top Proforma Invoice.

Hope I have answered your question?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi, but can one company invoice for the amount and then another company issue the VAT only invoice for the service provided?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks!

No logically it should be the same company. You should discuss and agree on a solution with the seller.

Have I answered your question?