bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have recently purchased a lorry off of a company who have

Customer Question

Hi I have recently purchased a lorry off of a company who have now gone into liquidation, they purchased the lorry/machine from Portugal 16 months ago but never registered it in the uk so the lorry still has Portuguese plates on it. If I register it as a private individual having bought the machine from a uk ltd company will I have to pay vat or import tax as the company that have gone into liquidation never did when they purchased it from Portugal?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

No, this is one of the situations where HMRC have dipped out! I wouldn't put it past that Department to 'try it on,' if they do resist it.