Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I’m asking on behalf of my father. Basically he ceased

Hi, I’m asking on behalf of my father. Basically he ceased trading as a sole trader 2 and a half years ago as he was locked out of the premises. HMRC are sending him various bills for VAT as he hasn’t done his returns, so they are estimated. The problem is the reason these returns haven’t been done is because his book-keeper who dealt with all that died a few weeks after he stopped trading and we’re unable to obtain the info she had and any other paperwork he did have was in the office of the premises he was locked out of. We don’t know how to resolve this as the person on the phone from HMRC was not helpful at all.
Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no as that will cost money that we really don’t have
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’m happy to wait for the right advice. Thankyou

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Ask the bank for duplicate bank statements and/or credit card statements which will provide an almost accurate account of income and expenses incurred for those relevant periods - then you can submit the amended returns using that information which HMRC VAT will accept

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thankyou