taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have a card machine - SumUp There is a fee from the

Customer Question

I have a card machine - SumUpThere is a fee from the company which is 1.24%. Can I charge my clients the processing fee as it’s not a surcharge. but the exact percentage the company charges to use the machine - Processing % fee?I.e £45 price
£45.90 on SumUp
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

I don't think your customers/clients would be happy in making this payment. This is an overhead cost which you are expected to absorb. Your profit margin should take care of this cost.

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it illegal to give the customer the SumUp processing fee.The new rules will be enforced by Trading Standards who will have the power to take civil enforcement action against traders who breach the regulations. It will also entitle customers to receive a refund of any unlawful surcharge they have paid and enable them, if necessary, to take legal action to recover any such surcharge.The ban on credit and debit card surcharges is effective across the EU from Saturday 13th January 2018, and will apply to all purchases made where the banks of the consumer and retailer are within the EEA. In the vast majority of other circumstances surcharges are capped at the cost to the retailer for processing the payment. The UK Government took the decision to also include other payment methods such as PayPal in the ban to further protect consumers.

Thank you for your reply.

In my view this charge is similar to one levied by other credit/debit card companies and similar restrictions would apply to processing payments through SumUp.

I hope this is helpful.