How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 31909
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am a French citizen and I have lived in the UK since 1998,

This answer was rated:

I am a French citizen and I have lived in the UK since 1998, I have the settled status. I inherited my parents' house in joint ownership with my 2 sisters when my mother passed earlier this year. The house has now been sold and all executries processed, and I am going to inherit around 29,000 Euros after executries fees have been paid. It is going to my French bank account. Would I have to pay UK inheritance tax f I was to transfer the funds to my UK bank account?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: France
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I am now waiting to get the legal certificates for the sale of the house and the executries
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

The gift or inheritance is taxable if the deceased/donor is resident in France at the time of death.

Such taxes are also levied for non-French residents, where the asset being gifted or bequeathed is located in France.

If your mother was not UK resident and the house was not in UK no you are taxed in UK

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mother resided in France and the house was located in France as well, the total inheritance value was below the French inheritance tax threshold so there were no tax to pay, would I have to provide the inheritance paperwork to my UK bank in order to justify the funds coming from France?

Only if you are asked to do that

My condolences about your mother

Please let me know what other information you need.
Scroll up to see the stars to rate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to say that my mother was French, this may have helped with my question, it was just to know if I might have had to pay tax in the UK.

You are not going to pay UK tax on the inheritance


TaxRobin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this is all clear. Many thanks for your assistance, I have all the answers I needed.