How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 31909
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I inherited a share of a property. My grandparents divided

This answer was rated:

I inherited a share of a property. My grandparents divided the property amongst 8 grandchildren in the Will. I am now going to purchase a property for 295k. Do I have to pay stamp duty because I inherited a share in a property?
Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to know, am I just liable for Capital Gains Tax
Assistant: What are the assets or property for this capital gain?
Customer: Will I have to pay Capital gains tax on the share of the property I have inherited? The property is in the process of being sold

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Unfortunately yes

You’ll usually have to pay 3% on top of the normal SDLT rates if buying a new residential property means you’ll own more than one. Even a part ownership


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand. But my name is ***** ***** on the title deeds and I have never lived in the property

I wish I could tell you different but..................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am liable for stamp duty tax and capital gains


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you

You are most welcome.
A 5 star positive rating would be appreciated

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you