How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 11068
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I purchase a house in 2003. I rented it out 2015. I

This answer was rated:

I purchase a house in 2003. I rented it out 2015. I understand a law change is going to be introduced so that I cannot gain for period 2003 to 2015 on the value of the property without incurring tax. Is this true. ? If so when to be implemented.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Er not quite! You will be taxed on a proportion of the gain reflecting the letting period against the total ownership period. Also you are deemed to be in occupation for the last 18 months even if this is not the case [9 months fron April 2020].

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this 100 per cent currently the case. I have a friend saying the period as residential address will no longer be exempt from tax due to a change in law.

There has been no such change in the law.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please come back to me.

The situation is how I explained it earlier, there has been no change.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.