How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 11068
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My heating has gone and i have been told i need a new boiler

Customer Question

My heating has gone and i have been told i need a new boiler am i entitled to vat exempt on it as i am registered disabled
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with yout question.

Whilst alterations to systems to assist people with disablities can be zero rated a failed heating system scarcely comes into this category.

However the reduced rate, 5%, is available where:

'Installation of energy saving materials; and grant funded heating system measures and qualifying security goods'[VAT Notice 708] so if you can swing this then your bill will be reduced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this does not really tell me whether i am cover
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

That is the best I can do, personally I think you will be chancing your arm trying to swing this repair at the reduced rate, sorry.