bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My heating has gone and i have been told i need a new boiler

Customer Question

My heating has gone and i have been told i need a new boiler am i entitled to vat exempt on it as i am registered disabled
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with yout question.

Whilst alterations to systems to assist people with disablities can be zero rated a failed heating system scarcely comes into this category.

However the reduced rate, 5%, is available where:

'Installation of energy saving materials; and grant funded heating system measures and qualifying security goods'[VAT Notice 708] so if you can swing this then your bill will be reduced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this does not really tell me whether i am cover

That is the best I can do, personally I think you will be chancing your arm trying to swing this repair at the reduced rate, sorry.