How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 26903
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My auntie has just reached a very special birthday. She

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My auntie has just reached a very special birthday. She would like to use her allowance of £250 gifts to treat each member of her family. Her nieces have husbands and children and she would like to send each the gift. Can my auntie write one cheque for niece, husband and three children at £1,250 or five cheques for £250.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: There would be 28 gifts in total

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Yes she can write one check

She can indicate on the check "gifts"

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does the above give you enough information please?

Yes it did thanks

Can you see my response?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thank you … so my auntie can write a cheque to each family and note gift recipients on cheque stub. Does she need to list for HMRC return please?

NO she is not required to list and send anything but a list for her estate would be smart

She can give as many gifts of up to £250 per person as she wants during the tax year as long as she has not used another exemption on the same person.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you … I can help her do this. thank you very much for help

You are most welcome.
A 5 star positive rating would be appreciated

TaxRobin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you