bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

This question is for a tax lawyer. I have been driving a

This question is for a tax lawyer. I have been driving a school minibus for the last six and a half years. I have been allowed to take the bus home with me, unless it was needed for school trips. Could you please let me know if that could be seen as a bonus by the Inland Revenue? It never cost the school any extra money as my first pickup is in the village where I live. Can I be taxed on this?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able too help you with your question.

Most unlikely as you need the vehicle with you for the first detail in the morning. However, if other private use is allowed your employer would report that on a Form P11d ate the end of each tax year.

By the way the Inland Revenue ceased to exist over 5 years ago on amalgamation with HM Customs and Excise to form HMRC.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks for your prompt reply. I've never used the bus for private use. I did know about HMRC, I just used an old term. Feel reassured though, so thanks again

Delighted to have been of assistance. I do not think you need to be worried on that private use score.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Thank you for your support.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, sorry for contacting you again, but the school has told me that there is a taxable liability for my bringing the minibus home with me. They are saying that nobody can claim mileage coming and going from their main place of work, hence it could be argued that I should have paid for fuel for the minibus to cover my use of it in such a way. However, it was the school, though a previous headteacher, that suggested that I take the bus home with me in the first place. The present headteacher is claiming this was a benefit to me, so there, and I quote, 'would be a liability if the school wanted to go down that avenue.'
Myself and the school are falling out over a different matter concerning the minibus, and I'm wondering if they are just trying to scare me? I just wanted to clarify with you again so that I know where I stand.
Many thanks,
Debbie

Here is the guidance from the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group, Debbie:

'You have no tax to pay if you only use the company van to make business journeys in connection with your job – the only journeys you make in it are work journeys and travelling between home and work. The onus is on your employer to demonstrate to HMRC that you have no tax to pay.'

As this use tax free needs your employer's support then it is possible that inappropriate pressure is being exerted.