bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Inheritance Tax Question: A married couple has a joint bank

Inheritance Tax Question:A married couple has a joint bank account with GBP 200,000. The husband’s share is GBP 100,000 when he dies, and the wife is the sole beneficiary of his estate. Both are domiciled in the UK.The inheritance tax form IHT404 box 8 shows the amount of GBP 100,000.Which amount should be entered in box 9 to claim spouse exemption for the wife?I assume that the answer is GBP 100,000 so that the amount in box 10 is zero. Is this correct?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This is a typical HMRC form designed to confuse as it is the same form for Joe Soap and multi-millionaire! You have it correct.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I like your comment about Joe Soap.

Thank you for your support, the comment comes free!