How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 27013
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My question is regarding NHR in Portugal I’m currently a

This answer was rated:

Good morning Pearl
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: my question is regarding NHR in Portugal I’m currently a British citizen married with 2 sons 23 and 25 years old with a house in UK and Portugal
JA: Are you using H&R Block online? Or software installed on your computer?
Customer: I have no idea, I’ve just contacted you via safari
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will be employed by a UK company as a consultant contractually working less than 40 days a year, I will be given Private Heath Insurance as part of my package. I believe I will be able to return to the Uk for 120 days a year ? Is that right

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Yes but,

If you spend 120 Days stay in the UK you must have 2 or less ties to the UK to be considered non Resident.

Residential Property, or any home you keep is a tie if you spend more than 1 day a year staying there


Yes your sons are tie

Please stay in this thread to respond

Scroll up to see the stars to rate

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Robin if my house is a tie and my sons are. That’s 2 ties is me being employed as a under40 days a year consultant ?

Yes that is 2

Try to stay less than 93 days in UK

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does my employment count as 3 ?

Not if you are not performing work in UK

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will only be offering my experience over the phone to a UK based colleage

Just do not work while you are in UK

I hope this conversation has been useful

You are most welcome.
A 5 star positive rating would be appreciated

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it’s been very useful. So if I only ever work as a consultant when I’m in Portugal keep a UK house for my sons to live in ,that gives me 2 ties which means I should be able to come back to the UK a maximum of 120 days a year


TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
5 stars on their way ��
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hope fully Tax Robin is still there. If I’m an NHR in Portugal but still earning a small salary here in UK and taking my pension tax free as an NHR will my salary fr £12000 pa be exempt from tax or would I have to pay Portuguese tax ?

Let me heck on their specifics.........................

They use the 183 day rule for tax residency and tax on income sourced to Portugal

As a general rule, an individual is qualified as a resident of Portugal if:

- he is present in Portugal for more than 183 days, consecutive or otherwise, in any 12-month period starting or ending in the calendar year concerned; or

- he is in Portugal for a shorter period, but he has on any day during the period mentioned in the previous subparagraph, an home under circumstances which imply his intention to keep and occupy such abode as his permanent residence;'

- he is, on 31 December of any year, a crew member of a ship or aircraft operated by a resident entity;

- he is performing public functions or commissions for the Portuguese state.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Robin so if i’m taking my pension at a rate of 50000 euros per year, tax free in Portugal and earning a £ 12000 per year as a consultant for a UK based company would I be liable to pay any tax ? In the UK or Portugal .

In Portugal yes on the £ 12000 but am not able to estimate how much

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Robin I guess I need to speak to a Portuguese accountant .

Yes please