bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Should I charge VAT on tutoring ( extra classes for maths

Should I charge VAT on tutoring ( extra classes for maths and English)

Thanks for your question. You do not charge VAT on education services. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that Just Answer credits me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Hi, the government website says: 6.1 The treatment of private tuition
This table will help to decide whether the private tuition supplied by an individual teacher, working in a personal capacity, is exempt from VAT.If the teacher is and then
a sole proprietor or member of a partnership the subject is one taught regularly in a number of schools or universities
takes on a teacher or teachers to help in carrying out the instruction it’s an exempt supply of private tuitioneven though the tuition delivered by teacher (as sole proprietor or partner) may still qualify as exempt private tuition, the tuition that others deliver is standard-rated
If a teacher takes on another teacher (or several others) to assist, either:there should be an apportionment of supplies of tuition between exempt and taxable elements (using any fair and reasonable method)
all supplies of tuition should be treated as taxable regardless of who actually delivers it
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
if i employ someone to help me, I will have to pay VAT when they do tuition on my behalf?

Yes.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Really? That is the extend of your answer?

Hello, I am one of the experst on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Education is exempt from VAT.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thanks so much. Is that for individuals and companies?

Both.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
What happens when I employ someone to help me to do the tutoring. I want to buy into a franchise and need to decide to go as Sole Trader or Ltd company.