How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6828
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?

This answer was rated:

Hi ..
Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I am a doctor in the UK,I came with my family:husband and 3 kids..
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have paid Home office for visa around 20 k..

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. Please expand on your question and I will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have paid Home office loads of money as Visa Iam on a work visa..and can't without it..
I've just ring HMRC helpline and they said it's not tax there any way to sort out this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I haven't..

Thank you for your question.

Procurrng a visa to enable one to work in the country is not a deductible expense in the UK. There is no relief against income tax on this expense, I'm afraid.

The taxman (HMRC) has given you a correct answer.

You may not like the answer, but as a professional, I have to give you the best advice possible based on the facts. I'm sure you would rather know the truth,so that you can find a way forward that doesn’t waste your time and money. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question. and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.