How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 26242
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My wife and I are looking to give our daughter a significant

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My wife and I are looking to give our daughter a significant sum of money in order for her and her partner to buy a house.I understand the gift will be free of tax after seven years providing the giver survives for that time.My question is,do we make the gift in joint names or a percentage individually.what is the most tax efficient way to make the gift?.William
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

You are correct there is no tax as long as the giver lives past 7 years of the giving.

You can split the gift or just one of you give that does not change the 7 year rule

If you split then one passes only half would be subject to any tax

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you