How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14873
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have received letters from HMRC concerning the tax year

Customer Question

Hi, I have received letters from HMRC concerning the tax year 16/17. I have large fines as I was registered self employed by a company I was working for along side my permanent job.
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: I only made £268.40 from this company. But was not aware at the time that I had to do a self assesment
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have now been told I have to fill in a self-assessment for that year. My fines currently sit at £1651.72 and the first time I received any communication about this at all was 3 weeks ago.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 17 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Sam replied 16 days ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 16 days ago.




Did you register yourself as self employed at the time or did the company do this for you and why did this small amount of work fall as self employed? Thanks Sam


Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Sam, to be honest, I am unsure of whether it was myself or the company did this for me. I only worked for the company for 1 month and it was a long time ago so I really cannot remember. I just don't know the next steps or how to go ahead with this. It is obviously a very small amount of tax left unpaid but the sudden fines have come as a real shock. I cannot afford to pay these so would appreciate some advice on how I should proceed. Thanks
Expert:  Sam replied 15 days ago.





Im trying to see if we can argue that you thought you were an employee throughout - but if you registered self employment yourself then that cannot be the case so its quite important that you establish this but can try appealing on that basis that you had no idea that you were self assessment as were employed for the duration as far as you were aware, this means they will cancel the need for the self assessment return as well - but be mindful that if you did register yourself that this argument falls apart- Thanks Sam





Expert:  Sam replied 15 days ago.

Do let me know if I can assist further - Thanks Sam