How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am currently a non UK resident for tax purposes but am

This answer was rated:

I am currently a non UK resident for tax purposes but am domiciled in the UK. Do I need to pay tax on the income I remit to the UK?
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: 2018-2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I earn income in the UK via my property which is rented out and submit returns to HRMC electronically for this income. It is the income I earn abroad that I am considering remitting to the UK before I marry my Greek partner and settle with him there

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Can you just confirm that you intend to live in Greece.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Currently I have not remitted any of my income to the UK for that tax year and want to know if it better to do it now or if it can wait till after I am settled in Greece?


Assuming you meet the criteria to be treated as non-UK resident for tax purposes, you will only pay UK tax on UK source income such as your rental income. As you are UK domiciled, you will be entitled to the UK personal allowance. Remittances of non-UK source income to the UK will not be taxable in the UK so long as you are not tax resident in the UK.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you