TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I’ve just returned to the UK from uae after being a non

I’ve just returned to the UK from uae after being a non resident for 2.5 years. I accrued income in the UAE between April 5 until October while I was living there.Now that I am back and about to start employment in the UK, how do I declare those foreign earnings so that they are taken into account for taxation.I do not complete a self assessment tax return so is it merely a case of informing my new employer about the foreign earnings I have?

Hi. My name is Tony. I'm looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Did you maintain your non-UK residence status between 6 April 2019 and the date you left the UAE. How many days did you spend in the UK in that period?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Tony, I was a resident in uae from January 2017 right through to October 10th 2019. Between April 6 & October 10th I spent 7 days in the UK.

I completed a p85 when I left the UK initially. I will start employment in January 2020.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have not completed any further forms since returning to the UK and can’t find information on how to officially re-start my UK residency
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I suppose it could be automatic as soon as I moved back here?

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

You will qualify for split year treatment for 2019/20, the period 6 April 2019 to 9 October you will be treated as non-UK resident and the period 10 October 2019 to 5 April 2019 you will be treated as UK resident. Your UAE earnings will not be taxable in the UK.

Unless you are asked to complete a UK tax return for 2019/20, there is no need to complete one unless you become self-employed or have untaxed sources of income such as rental income. If you take a job in the UK you will appear on the HMRC PAYE database and they may write to you to ask what you have been doing.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Tony thank you for your advise

Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
For sure

Just click on one of the positive star ratings.