How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16712
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I’ve just returned to the UK from uae after being a non

This answer was rated:

I’ve just returned to the UK from uae after being a non resident for 2.5 years. I accrued income in the UAE between April 5 until October while I was living there.Now that I am back and about to start employment in the UK, how do I declare those foreign earnings so that they are taken into account for taxation.I do not complete a self assessment tax return so is it merely a case of informing my new employer about the foreign earnings I have?

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Did you maintain your non-UK residence status between 6 April 2019 and the date you left the UAE. How many days did you spend in the UK in that period?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Tony, I was a resident in uae from January 2017 right through to October 10th 2019. Between April 6 & October 10th I spent 7 days in the UK.I completed a p85 when I left the UK initially. I will start employment in January 2020.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have not completed any further forms since returning to the UK and can’t find information on how to officially re-start my UK residency
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I suppose it could be automatic as soon as I moved back here?


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

You will qualify for split year treatment for 2019/20, the period 6 April 2019 to 9 October you will be treated as non-UK resident and the period 10 October 2019 to 5 April 2019 you will be treated as UK resident. Your UAE earnings will not be taxable in the UK.

Unless you are asked to complete a UK tax return for 2019/20, there is no need to complete one unless you become self-employed or have untaxed sources of income such as rental income. If you take a job in the UK you will appear on the HMRC PAYE database and they may write to you to ask what you have been doing.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Tony thank you for your advise


Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For sure

Just click on one of the positive star ratings.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you