taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I started this job in feb where I was earning £18per hour.

Customer Question

I started this job in feb where I was earning £18per hour. It wasn’t a fixed hourly contract it just depended on how many hours I tutored. I was my first job and so I was entitled to £12500 allowance but I never received this and was instead taxed on my entire monthly earnings (please see payslips) what would you advise I do. Thank you
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 5 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

You appear to have a tax code 1248L suggesting a tax free allowance of around £12,480 in full year. £12,500 allowance would equate to a tax code 1250L.

You have not been taxed on your entire monthly earnings. If that were the case your tax deductions would have been

Period 1 £219.60

Period 2 £345.60

Period 3 £331.20

If you believe your tax code is wrong you should contact HMRC who will issue your employer with a revised tax code as required. This can be done by phone – 0300 200 3300

My aim is to give you a professional service. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you with your question.